My friend Erica Strait is radiant. Like, J.Lo on American Idol radiant. But, unlike the former Mrs. Marc Anthony, Erica happens to be one of the lowest maintenance beauties I know. She calls on her experience as a holistic health counselor to maintain her glow on the go with nutrient-packed smoothies spiked with a nourishing dose of healthy fats. Erica says,“Protein and fat turn a smoothie from a sugar rush into a meal that can start your day off right or a healthy snack that can keep you satisfied between breakfast and lunch.”
- Berries are superfoods packed with antioxidants and are also low on the glycemic index so they won’t spike insulin. Bananas will give you a lasting source of energy and contain B vitamins along with potassium.
- Kefir and yogurt are protein-rich and with lots of healthy fats and beneficial bacteria. Make sure the dairy you use is not ultra-pasteurized as this process kills all the “good guy” bacteria. Coconut milk is a great vegan alternative with loads of vitamins and minerals.
- Raw egg yolks can promote nail and hair growth due to their high sulfur content and loads of vitamins and minerals. Use eggs from a trusted local farmer or organic store-bought.
- Cod liver oil is high in Omega 3′s, and fat-soluble vitamins A and D. It’s not the best tasting stuff so smoothies are a perfect way to get it into your diet undetected by your taste buds.
- Bee pollen is a crazy potent superfood containing 22 amino acids, 27 minerals, a full range of vitamins, hormones and fatty acids.
- Coconut oil is a nutritional wonder with its long list of health benefits. It can help to absorb nutrients and it can actually raise your metabolism to help burn more energy and reduce weight.
Erica Strait owns and operates Foxy Falafel. She serves up delicious and nutritious falafel sandwiches, gluten-free platters and pedal-powered smoothies at farmers’ markets and various events in the Twin Cities. Find out where she’ll be this weekend at Foxyfalafel.com.